How does Sloth work?
Sloth utilises Cloudflare Workers, along with Cloudflare’s expansive network of global data centres, which provide a new solution to both a number of common and complex problems faced by digital marketers and SEOs.
Our research behind using Cloudflare Workers to implement technical SEO fixes on the edge won the inaugural TechSEO Boost Call for Research competition, backed by Moz. Our research also formed the basis of our talk at the conference, which formally introduced the concept of Edge SEO to the world in November 2018.
What can I do with Sloth?
Through Sloth’s Cloudflare Worker generator, you can:
- Implement 301 and 302 redirects
- Implement Hreflang into the HTML head
- Modify robots.txt file (including those on Shopify)
- Collect server log files (including from Shopify/Demandware/Salesforce CommerceCloud)
- Implement security headers
- Inject content into the body of your page
- Inject and override meta data (titles, descriptions)
Following a successful Alpha testing phase, and great feedback, we are also developing:
- More advanced server log file capabilities
- AB testing
- Google Search Console verification code injection
- Yandex WMT verification code injection
- Yandex Metrika verification code injection
- Bing WMT verification code injection
- Naver WMT verification code injection
- Structured data/Schema mark-up injection
- Rewrite / write image ALT text using variables and lookups
- Implement JS overlays that detect user IPs, so you can direct them to their website version (for international sites)
- Implement age verification screens
What is Edge SEO?
Edge SEO means implementing SEO recommendations and technical fixes on a CDN edge server.
On any network layout, a number of devices will interconnect using one or more predefined network patters, and if a network wants to connect to another network (or to the internet), it requires some form of bridge in order to allow traffic flow.
By pairing with Cloudflare’s existing technologies, and using its global CDN, through Sloth, you can configure self-sufficient Cloudflare Worker bundles without touching the underlying code of a website.
How to use Sloth
In order to use Sloth, you will need a Cloudflare account. Depending on your requirements, they range from free, to custom enterprise plans.
Once you’ve registered with Cloudflare, you will need to change your website’s nameservers to Cloudflare’s.
Once propagated, you will need to enable Cloudflare Workers. Pricing for Cloudflare Workers starts at $5/pm for 10-million requests, with each additional 1-million requests costing ,50c thereafter.
While using Sloth, you have two methods of deploying your Sloth code to your Cloudflare edge server. You can either:
- Copy and paste the code manually from Sloth into Cloudflare, or,
- Enter your Cloudflare account email and your Cloudflare API key. From there, it takes only one click to deploy.
Why do we need Sloth and Edge SEO?
The idea for Sloth was born out of the needs of two enterprise clients, both with platform and development restrictions – preventing them from achieving what they were trying to do.
You can read more about Sloth here.